Skip to this page's content

Contact Us

In This Section

Public Disclosure Requests

Most KCHA records are available for public review through the Public Records Act (PRA), which is different from the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). To request to review or have copies of records, complete KCHA's Public Disclosure Request Form (PDF).

To ask for help or submit your request by mail, email, or fax, please contact:

Saeed Hajarizadeh
Public Information/Public Records Officer
600 Andover Park West
Tukwila, WA 98188
Fax: (206) 574-1104

Your request must include:

  • Your name, address, and contact information.
  • The date of the request.
  • A description of the records you need.
  • The method KCHA should use to contact you.

Make your request as specific as you can. Include dates, locations, and the names of programs, projects, or communities when possible. This will help us better respond to your request.

Responding to Records Requests

Within 5 business days of receiving your request, KCHA’s public information/public records officer (PIO/PRO) or their designee will do one of the following:

  • Make the records available for viewing or copying.
  • Identify an internet address for the records. KCHA may provide hard copies or give you access to one of its computers if you do not have internet access.
  • Send you copies of the requested records, if you have paid for copying costs with a deposit or in full.
  • Give you an estimate of when the records will be available.
  • Ask for clarification, if your request does not sufficiently identify the records. KCHA will make this request in writing, and may revise the estimate of when records will be available.
  • Deny your request.

If you do not receive a response within 5 business days, contact the PIO/PRO to find out why.

Viewing and Copying Records

KCHA does not charge a fee to inspect public records. The PIO/PRO or their designee will make records available for you to view by appointment. This takes place during normal business hours, excluding holidays. You may not remove documents from the viewing area, nor disassemble or alter any document. You may take photos of the records when viewing.

KCHA may copy any document you request. (Some documents may not be available due to exemptions from disclosure.) We may waive the costs for requests under 10 pages or requests delivered electronically. For other requests, charges are outlined in KCHA's records request fee schedule (PDF).

Make payments by check, cashier's check, or money order, payable to KCHA.

For large document requests, such as those involving 100 or more pages, KCHA may:

  • Require a deposit of up to 10 percent before making copies.
  • Provide copies in installments.
  • Require advance payment before providing further installments.

Please note that KCHA is not required to create documents to comply with requests for specific information. We must only produce existing records for review and copying. KCHA is also not required to compile information from multiple records into a form that is more useful to you. Copy charges will be waived when producing documents via a subpoena request.

Records Exempt from Disclosure

The Public Records Act (RCW 42.56) and other statutes list types of public documents exempt from public viewing and copying. If only part of a record is exempt, the PIO will redact the exempt portions before giving you the document. KCHA will not disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes.

Records Index

Board Resolution #5300, signed on Oct. 14, 2010, determined that KCHA will not maintain a records index. Because of the number and complexity of records generated by KCHA’s many activities and office locations, keeping an index would cause undue burdens and costs and interfere with agency operations.

Special Considerations

If you do not review or claim records with 15 days of notice of availability, or fail to make payment, the PIO/PRO will close your records request. If the records contain information that may affect the rights of others, the PIO/PRO may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties before providing the records. After completing a request, if the PIO/PRO becomes aware of more documents that existed at the time of the request, they will provide them to you on an expedited basis.

Requesting Review of a Denial

You may send a written petition to the PIO/PRO to have any request denial reviewed. The PIO/PRO will consider your petition and affirm or reverse the denial within 2 business days after receipt of the petition. You may obtain court review within 2 business days of an initial denial. See the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 42.56 for more information.

Role of the Public Information/Public Records Officer

  • Oversee compliance with the Public Records Act.
  • Help records requestors.
  • Coordinate responses to requests with departments and offices.
  • Process requests timely and efficiently.
  • Fulfill requests without excessively interfering with KCHA business.
  • Protect public records from damage or disorganization.
  • Administer requests consistent with KCHA’s public disclosure request policy.

Disclosure Policy

View KCHA's full public records disclosure policy (PDF).

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927