Skip to this page's content


In This Section

Family Self-Sufficiency

Woman and man working together at a computer

KCHA's Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program helps residents reach financial independence. If you qualify, a case manager helps you identify and work toward long-term goals, such as:

  • Training for a job
  • Going to college
  • Starting a business


You must have a Section 8 voucher or live in subsidized housing to take part in the Family Self-Sufficiency program.

How the Program Works

To join the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) program you must:

  • Attend an orientation meeting
  • Fill out an enrollment packet
  • Sign your Contract of Participation

KCHA assigns you an FSS case manager after you sign the contract. This person helps you define your goals and how to reach them. In the years that follow, they connect you with the services and support to help you acheive your goals.

KCHA also opens an interest-earning escrow account — similar to a savings account — in your name. If your rent increases because of your employment income, KCHA deposits money into your escrow account each month. You receive the full amount held in the account if you fulfill the terms of your FSS contract within five years.

Services and Support

FSS staff and their partners can offer information and resources to help you reach your goals. These may include:

  • Child care
  • Transportation
  • Job counseling
  • Budget workshops
  • Credit counseling
  • Financial aid for college
  • Substance abuse treatment
  • Homebuyer education

Your Responsibilities

You must follow the service and training action plans included in your contract. You must also stay in touch with your case manager and attend required classes and workshops. If you have an emergency that prevents you from continuing in the program, contact your case manager right away.

Learn More

If you have questions or want to take part in the FSS program, contact one of KCHA's program coordinators. To find the coordinator who serves your area, enter your zip code in the box below and click Search.

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927