Skip to this page's content


In This Section

Bid & Contract Requirements

Construction worker performing building repair

KCHA is required to solicit three or more quotes for all goods and services of more than $50,000. We can only consider your company’s bid or proposal if you meet the general requirements listed below. Requirements for weatherization projects may vary.

General Requirements

For your bid or proposal to be considered you must:

  • Have a license to do business in Washington State.
  • Have at least 3 years in business under the same name or ownership group.
  • Have industrial insurance coverage for the bidder's employees working Washington.
  • Have an Employment Security Department number.
  • Have a state excise tax registration number.
  • Not appear on any state or federal debarment lists.
  • Be current with payments to the IRS and the Washington State Departments of Labor & Industries, Revenue and Employment Security.

You must also maintain minimum insurance. In most cases this means:

  • General liability: $1 million per occurrence & $2 million aggregate.
  • Auto liability: $1 million per accident (combined, single limit).
  • Employer’s liability/Washington State stop hap: $1 million per accident (combined, single limit).
  • KCHA is to be made an additional insured with respect to general liability during operations and completed operations.
  • Contractor’s insurance coverage shall be primary/non-contributory.
  • Contractor on behalf of itself and its liability insurance carriers will release and waive any claims and subrogation rights against KCHA.

KCHA may require higher limits or more coverage, depending on the type of work you will do. All coverage applies equally to subcontractors.

Construction & Maintenance Requirements

In addition to the general requirements listed above, construction and maintenance firms must also:

  • Obtain bid bonds for projects of more than $150,000.
  • Obtain payment/performance bonds for 100 percent of the job value for projects of more than $150,000.
  • Agree to retainage of 5 percent (or 10 percent upon request and approval).
  • Have an experience modification factor of 1.0 or less. This may be waived on a case-by-case basis.
  • Pay Davis-Bacon or HUD Non-Routine Maintenance wages and submit certified payrolls for projects of more than $2,000. You must also file intents and affidavits with the Department of Labor & Industries when working on these contracts. Learn about filing for projects that are federally funded.
  • Pay Washington state prevailing wages for non-federally funded projects of more than $2,500 at KCHA-owned properties. You must also file intents and affidavits with the Department of Labor & Industries when working on these contracts. Learn more about the prevailing wage law and specific wage rates.

Fair Housing Laws

All contractors that work with KCHA must follow federal fair housing and accessibility laws.

Business Policies

The following policies apply to companies that contract with KCHA:

  • You must work to receive payment. KCHA does not pay in advance.
  • KCHA processes payments within 30 days of invoice receipt if you meet all KCHA compliance requirements.
  • You may invoice materials delivered on site before installation.
  • You must submit payrolls every week on federally funded projects, even if no work is done.
  • KCHA may interview at least one person from every contractor and subcontractor company on the job site to verify their employer's wage rates.
  • You must include taxes on materials in bids for federally funded projects (Davis-Bacon or HUD Non-Routine Maintenance wage projects) of more than $2,000 and non-federally funded projects (Washington State prevailing wage projects) of more than $2,500.
  • Before work starts, both you and KCHA must sign contracts, and KCHA must issue the Notice to Proceed.
  • KCHA uses AIA contracts for many large construction projects.
  • KCHA uses requests for proposals (RFPs) and qualifications (RFQs) for some construction bids. We use these requests for all professional services contracts.

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927

Central Applications Center — Subsidized Housing
Tel: (206) 574‑1248
Fax: (206) 574‑1241