Skip to this page's content

KCHA & COVID-19  •  Our offices are currently closed to the general public


In This Section

Request for Tenancy Approval

Flowers and trees in front of apartment building

Property managers must complete a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) prior to leasing a rental unit to a tenant with a voucher.

Complete and submit the RFTA application

Complete the RFTA Form (PDF) and save it to your device. Do not write "ON FILE" on any part of the form.

If you are a new owner/landlord, or if your banking or tax information has changed:

  • Complete the Direct Deposit Form (PDF) and include a voided check, deposit slip, or bank statement, ensuring that the bank account and routing information are visible.
  • Complete the W9 Form (PDF).

If your rental unit was built before 1978:

  • You and the tenant must sign the Lead Based Paint Disclosure Form (PDF).
  • Provide your tenant the EPA Lead Pamphlet (PDF). The tenant must acknowledge receipt of the pamphlet.
  • Complete the checkboxes for lead-based paint on the RFTA Request Form.
  • Include the completed Lead Based Paint Disclosure Form with the RFTA Request Form.

Once you complete all necessary forms, fill out our online RFTA Request Form, attach all completed forms, and submit. When we receive your request, we will send you a confirmation email.

Note: If you would prefer to print the forms, you can return them to KCHA in person, or by mail or fax to:

KCHA Section 8 - Attn: RFTA
700 Andover Park W
Tukwila, WA, 98188
Fax: (206) 902-9850

Hours of operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Friday: 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
Thursday: 9 a.m.–5:15pm
Wednesday: closed to walk-in traffic

Can’t I just email KCHA these forms?

We ask that you don't email these forms to us. Email is not secure, and these forms contain personally identifiable information. Please use the RFTA form linked above.

After I submit the RFTA form, what's next?

KCHA staff will review your RFTA for eligibility and forward it to a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) Inspector to coordinate the inspection with person you've designated as the property contact.

The Inspector will reach out within 2-7 business days of receiving the RFTA to schedule the inspection. Inspections are scheduled Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.

The Inspector will work directly with the property contact to coordinate the inspection. The tenant should communicate with the property manager regarding the scheduling and outcome of the inspection.

To see what our inspectors look for in an inspection, refer to our Inspection Checklist (PDF).

Can the tenant move in before the unit passes inspection?

KCHA discourages this. If a voucher holder moves into a unit before it passes an inspection, they will be responsible for the entire contract rent. Also, the unit may not meet Housing Quality Standards, it may not be a legal dwelling unit, the rent may be too high, or it may not qualify for other reasons. If the unit does not qualify, KCHA cannot provide a subsidy.

I have more questions about the RFTA process

If you have questions about the Request for Tenancy Approval process, contact us at or (206) 214-1349.

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927