Skip to this page's content

Find a Home

In This Section

KCHA's waiting list for subsidized housing is temporarily closed

During this temporary closure, KCHA is reviewing waiting list procedures and implementing new housing-management software. These changes will help improve KCHA's services for people seeking housing. The waiting list will reopen after the software conversion is completed.

How to Apply for Subsidized Housing

Frequently Asked Questions

How long will the waiting list be closed?
We do not have a re-opening date at this time.

How will we find out when the waiting list reopens?
We will post information on our website as soon as we have a date for reopening the waiting list. The Central Application Center for subsidized housing is still open to answer your questions, call 206-574-1248 or email

Where else can I apply to get help?
For emergency resources, start by calling 211. You can still apply for public housing and Housing Choice Voucher programs with other housing authorities. For tenant and landlord resources, the Tenants Union and Housing Justice Project are among many other agencies that may be able to assist. This page has a more complete list of resources. KCHA's other rental housing and its moderate-income housing may provide alternatives for some applicants.

I’m already on the waiting list. Are you canceling my application/taking me off the list?
No. If you have an active application, it won’t be affected by the waiting list closure. While the list is closed, KCHA will continue to fill any vacancies in our properties from the waiting list. The requirement to stay on the list won’t change: Be sure to keep your mailing address current in case we need to contact you and respond to any paperwork we send you by the deadline on that paperwork. We recommend checking your status every 3-6 months by calling 206-574-1248 or emailing

I recently applied but haven’t heard from you. What should I do?
We reply by mail to every application we get — even if it’s incomplete or you’re not eligible. At this time, it takes about 1-2 months to process new applications. If it’s been longer than that since you applied, call us at 206-574-1248. If we can’t answer right away, leave a message, and we’ll call you back. If you applied in the last 1-2 months, we can check to make sure we have your application.

Other Waiting Lists

Other housing authorities in Washington and across the country may have open waiting lists for subsidized housing. You can view a list of these openings on the Affordable Housing Online website.

Previously Submitted Applications

If any of the information you listed on your application changes, you must report the changes to KCHA as soon as possible. You can report application changes online.

We will contact people already on the waiting list by mail when your name nears the top of a waiting list. You will need to provide updated household information (such as income, family composition) at that time. You will also have to submit information for background and credit history checks. If you pass the screening process, KCHA will then contact you when a home with the number of bedrooms you need opens up.

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927

Central Applications Center — Subsidized Housing
Tel: (206) 574‑1248
Fax: (206) 574‑1241