Skip to this page's content


In This Section

Reasonable Accommodations

Rental housing at Riverton Terrace in Tukwila

KCHA provides accommodations to qualified persons with disabilities. These changes allow your living arrangements to compare to those of other renters. Your request cannot cause an extreme financial burden. It also cannot change the fundamental features of a housing program.

Accommodations can include:

  • Changes to your apartment (e.g., grab bars in the bathroom or kitchen).
  • Changes to another part of the building or grounds (e.g., wheelchair ramp, curb cuts).
  • Changes to KCHA rules, policies, or procedures.

You can make a request by phone, at a KCHA office, or in any other way convenient for you. You may use a request form, but KCHA does not require you to do so:

Family members, service providers, and other advocates may also make requests on your behalf.

You may not need or want the same type of accommodation as someone with the same disability. KCHA will work with you to make changes that best suit your needs. Please note that we give priority to changes that involve the unit and building where you live.

KCHA may need you to provide evidence of your disability and the need for the specific accommodation. (This will not include medical records.) The type of documents you need to provide will depend on your situation. We will not ask you about the nature of your disability unless it directly relates to your request.

KCHA cannot provide supportive services – counseling, medical, or social services – beyond those offered to all residents. Also, while we may modify a home to allow you to live there, we do not have to offer you a different type of housing. The accommodation process works to figure out if you can live in the housing KCHA offers with appropriate changes – not if you could benefit from types of housing we do not offer.

KCHA reviews all requests on a case-by-case basis. We do not guarantee specific accommodations. Contact your management office to learn more or submit a request. If you need TTY relay services, call 7-1-1.

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927

Central Applications Center — Subsidized Housing
Tel: (206) 574‑1248
Fax: (206) 574‑1241