Skip to this page's content


In This Section

Leasing Process

Affordable rental housing property

A tenant may begin looking for a home after KCHA certifies their eligibility. Before they can move into one of your units, you must screen the tenant, submit four forms, and have the Housing Authority approve the rent amount. After the unit passes a KCHA inspection, you must also fill out a move-in checklist and sign the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) contract.

Tenant Screening

KCHA only screens tenants for program eligibility and minimal criminal history. You should also screen them to find out if they are a suitable renter. KCHA can usually provide contact information for the tenant's last landlord. You may charge the tenant a screening fee as long as you charge all other renters the same fee.

Tenancy Approval Forms

If the tenant meets your screening criteria, you then fill out four forms given to you by KCHA:

  • Request for Tenancy Approval
  • Section 8 Landlord Certification
  • Taxpayer Identification Number Request
  • Lead-Based Paint Disclosure

All forms can be found and submitted through the RFTA submission portal. If you would prefer to print the forms, you can return them to KCHA in person, or by mail or fax to:

KCHA Section 8 - Attn: RFTA
700 Andover Park W
Tukwila, WA, 98188
Fax: (206) 902-9850

Rent Approval

The unit's rent must pass two tests for the first lease:

  • The rent compares to similar units in the area.
  • The tenant's share does not exceed 40 percent of their monthly income.

KCHA will schedule the unit for inspection if the rent meets these criteria. If it does not, we will ask you to negotiate a lower rent. If you choose not to change the rent, the unit will not be eligible for the program. The tenant will have to look elsewhere. KCHA does not allow side deals where you ask the tenant to pay more than the rent amount listed on the lease.


KCHA must inspect the unit to make sure it meets standards set by HUD. If the unit does not pass inspection, you must fix all failed item before the tenant moves in. Learn more about inspections and lead-based paint regulations.

Move-In Checklist

State law requires you and the tenant to fill out a move-in checklist. This report details the condition of the unit before the tenant moves in. You must provide a copy of the report to the tenant.

Lease and Contract

KCHA must receive signed copies of the lease and HAP contract before starting payment. If you have a standard lease for all tenants, you may use it along with a lease addendum required by HUD.

KCHA issues its first payment one to three weeks after receiving the signed lease and contract. After that, we issue payments no later than the fifth working day of the month. You can be paid by check or direct deposit.

Changing the Lease and Contract

Learn more about requesting rent changes.

Other Requirements

You should be aware of four additional state and federal laws that affect you and your tenants:

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927

Central Applications Center — Subsidized Housing
Tel: (206) 574‑1248
Fax: (206) 574‑1241