Skip to this page's content


In This Section


KCHA may terminate your Section 8 voucher if you no longer qualify for the program or fail to follow its rules. Common reasons include, but are not limited to:

  • Your income exceeds program limits.
  • The number of people living in your home goes down, but you refuse to move to a home with fewer bedrooms.
  • You do not meet your responsibilities to your landlord and/or KCHA.
  • You live away from home for a period of time longer than KCHA or HUD policies allow.
  • You do not provide a copy of your social security card.
  • You do not provide evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status.
  • The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) does not certify your household as eligible for a voucher.

We may not terminate your voucher if you are a victim of domestic violence.

If KCHA terminates your voucher, we will give you prompt written notice. This notice explains KCHA's decision.

Appeals to the INS

If the decision relates to evidence of citizenship, eligible immigration status, or the INS certifying eligibility, you can file an appeal with the INS. You can ask for an INS hearing instead of, or in addition to, an informal hearing with KCHA.

Until the INS makes a final decision, you may be able to keep using your voucher. You may also be able to receive prorated assistance or temporarily defer termination. KCHA's written notice will explain how to apply for these options. We cannot terminate your voucher until all appeals are processed.

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574‑1100
Fax: (206) 574‑1104
TDD: (800) 833‑6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214‑1300
Fax: (206) 243‑5927

Central Applications Center — Subsidized Housing
Tel: (206) 574‑1248
Fax: (206) 574‑1241