How to Apply for a Section 8 Voucher

KCHA's Section 8 voucher program will accept applications from 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, Apr. 5, 2017 through 4 p.m. on Tuesday, Apr. 18, 2017. The free application process will only be available online through the KCHA website. A random lottery drawing will be used to select 3,500 of these applications for the Section 8 waiting list. Any agency requesting a fee to assist you or who guarantees placement on the waiting list is fraudulent. Please report any such agency to KCHA. Learn more about the lottery process.


Your household income must be at or below 80 percent of area median income (AMI) for your family size:

Family Size 30% of AMI 80% of AMI
1 $19,000 $48,550
2 $21,700 $55,450
3 $24,400 $62,400
4 $27,100 $69,300
5 $29,300 $74,850
6 $32,580 $80,400
7 $36,730 $85,950
8 $40,890 $91,500
9 $45,050 $97,000
10 $49,210 $102,550
11 $53,370 $108,100

Your household must also:

  • Meet one of KCHA's housing selection preferences. You must be homeless, live in substandard-condition housing, pay more than 50 percent of your household income on rent and utilities, or have household income at or below 30 percent of AMI for your family size (see chart above).
  • Have at least one family member under the age of 18, elderly or disabled.  Single, non-disabled adults younger than age 62 do not qualify.
  • Be citizens — or non-citizens with eligible immigration status.
  • Not currently live in subsidized housing.
  • Not have a criminal record that KCHA believes could affect the health, safety, or welfare of other tenants or its employees.


KCHA does not take Section 8 applications year-round. You can only apply during a specified two-week period prior to a random lottery drawing. We will only add you to the waiting list if we select your application through this random drawing. Learn more about the lottery process.

Other housing authorities in Washington and across the country may have open Section 8 waiting lists. You can view a list of these openings on the Affordable Housing Online website.

Emergency Housing

KCHA does not provide temporary housing, but many other agencies do. Learn how to find emergency housing.

Main Office
600 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 574-1100
Fax: (206) 574-1104
TDD: (800) 833-6388

Section 8 Office
700 Andover Park W.
Tukwila, WA 98188
Tel: (206) 214-1300
Fax: (206) 243-5927